[Maths-Education] Ability grouping in mathematics

Birgit Pepin bpepin at brookes.ac.uk
Tue Jun 7 19:13:58 BST 2005

This starts getting more interesting by the minute. And I agree that a lot
of this needs unpacking.

As someone who has lived three systems (either as pupil, teacher or
parent), those of Germany, France and England, and researched them perhaps
at another level, I would strongly emphasise the discrepancy between what
is stated and what is 'lived' in schools and national curricula.

Germany was mentioned as the case for the tripartite system, three
different routes, and indeed three different curricula. Well, supposedly
different. If you have a closer look, and you can also see this in German
textbooks at lower secondary level, the Realschul and Hauptschul curricula
are in fact a kind of watered down Gymnasium version. There are
differences, but the curriculum is not markedly different, except for its
'depth' of treating the mathematical notions- supposedly.

Dylan makes the point that the federal state, in fact some argue each Land,
sets different goals for different students. My concerns here are: what are
these different goals, what is the purpose? And what are the different
mathematical diets that students are provided with, what opportunities do
they have to learn mathematics? Supposedly attending to the different needs
of individual children. To what extent does the Hauptschul curriculum
attend to the needs of a Russian immigrant child who can hardly speak
German, but whose mathematics education diet might have been superior to
what is offered in the German Hauptschule? What are the mathematical diets
we offer to our English 'bottom' set students, as compared to the so-called
high achievers? How can we justify this - on the background of a 'National
Curriculum for all'?

Yes, these labels do not give us any clue about what is actually happening
in our classrooms. Perhaps they give us an idea of what politicians and
policy makers would like to show forth.

Birgit Pepin

Dr Birgit Pepin
Postgraduate Tutor