[Maths-Education] Ability grouping in mathematics

Peter Gates Peter.Gates at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Jun 7 11:22:46 BST 2005

Thanks Anne for this. Anne's point here is close to one of the key reasons I asked the question - and thanks to those of you who have already responded to me. Naturally if anyone wishes to respond to the whole list - they can. I will collate responses and distribute them  -possibly via a web site. I just wanted to avoid lots of email - but this is clearly an important issue not just for those of us interested in equity in mathematics teaching and learning.

Peter

*****************************************************************8

There is a useful table in the most recent TIMSS or PISA reports (cannot lay my hands on which one right now - probably TIMSS) which purports to show how different nations group students for maths teaching.

I am replying to the whole list because the claim is that in England we teach the same curriculum to different students in different ways.  Well, folks, we don't.  We end up teaching a different curriculum to different students.

Do any others of you wish to comment on how your country's differentiation practices are officially reported?

Anne Watson.

Dr Peter Gates
Director of Research Students
School of Education
The University of Nottingham
Wollaton Road
Nottingham
NG8 1BB
Great Britain

email
1) peter.gates at nottingham.ac.uk (work)
2) peter.gates3 at btopenworld.com (personal)

Personal web pages

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/education/contact/a-z/index.phtml?name=gates-peter

School of Education web pages:

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/education/

Tel: +44 0115 951 4432 (Work direct line)
Tel: +44 0115 945 2550 (Home)
Tel: +44 0773 0808 353 (Mobile)
Fax: +44 0115 846 6600