[Maths-Education] Update on Malaysia 2005 Conference

Alan Rogerson arogerson at inetia.pl
Wed Apr 6 14:19:05 BST 2005

Eighth International Conference: Reform, Revolution and Paradigm Shifts in Mathematics Education "
Hotel Eden Garden,  Johor Bharu, Malaysia, November 25th  -  December 1st, 2005

Conference Update No. 1  :  30th March, 2005

1. Welcome to the first conference update with breaking news on our forthcoming conference later this year! All aspects of the organization are going ahead smoothly as planned after our site inspection at the splendid Eden Garden Hotel in January. In particular Professor Azlan Zanzali and his LOC are working hard to ensure local teachers and international guests have a really worthwhile stay and enjoyable conference in Malaysia.

2. The Academic Programme promises to be very varied and stimulating.

There will be a Plenary Speech at the Opening Session by the Director of Higher Education at the Malaysia Ministry of Education: Dato' Prof. Dr. Hassan Said (Dato' is a title similar to "Sir"). He will speak on "Reform, Revolution and Paradigm Shifts in the Malaysian Mathematics Education".  He is a mathematician by training.

Alan Rogerson and Paul Ernest will be giving a Plenary Talk in tandem on Paradigm Shifts in Mathematics and Mathematics Education, which promises to be different!

Erik De Corte will be chairing a special Plenary Forum on Mathematics Education in Malaysia with contributions from local mathematics educators.

The following are planning (or hoping) to attend and to lead working groups: Gail Burrill, Josephine Buskes, Lucette Carter, Krysia Dalek,  Erik De Corte, Soledad Esteban, Gary Flewelling, Liv Gronmo, Gila Hanna, Jean Michel Hanna, Brad Hansen-Smith, Marjorie Henningsen, Iris Johnson, Madeleine Long, George Malaty, Fayez Mina, Medhat Rahim, Anthony Sofo, Filippo Spagnolo.

Special Workshops will be offered by George Booker, Brad Hansen-Smith, Rudiger Vernay and Regina Puscher.

In addition there will be the Open Forum of Ideas, paper presentations, discussion groups and workshops.

3. If you intend to present a paper please send me your abstract/paper as soon as possible. If you require a formal letter of invitation please let me know. Please note that early-bird registration closes at the end of April

4. Cheap Flights: As promised we are trying to find out about cheaper air flights, and so far we have heard of a 547euro Amsterdam-Singapore round-trip through Turkish Airlines (thanks Josephine Buskes, who booked the last seat, but there are other days!). Check out Swiss Air and other airlines on the internet for fresh offers (please let me know if you see any good ones so I can pass them on).

5. Airport Arrival  scenarios: There are two excellent ways of getting to the conference

(1) Fly to Kuala Lumpur (KL) International Airport (Malaysia) and then a connecting flight to SENAI airport in Malaysia. This is the local airport for our conference, and there are TWO connecting flights a day from KL so please check this out carefully.

(2) Otherwise arrive at Singapore International Airport Changi, and travel across the causeway to Malaysia and to our conference hotel (which overlooks the causeway - journey time 40-60 minutes - full details later!)

6. Don't forget special tropical pre- and post-conference tourist trips can be organized through our local Malaysian travel agent (please contact me for details) or your own travel agent at home. As well as Malaysia itself and Singapore, Indonesia (Bali!) and Thailand are all very close.

Best wishes,

Alan Rogerson

Chairman of the International Programme Committee

PS  Margaret and I have already made a site inspection for our 2006 Conference which will be held in Charlotte, North Carolina, USA under the enthusiastic LOC of  David Pugalee (chair),  Patricia Douville, Corey Lock and others.

Please make a note of the conference dates in your diary: Charlotte, NC, Sep 8-14, 2006