[Maths-Education] New E-book

Paulus Gerdes maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 13:50:55 +0300

--MS_Mac_OE_3181038655_954031_MIME_Part

Paulus Gerdes
Basketry, Geometry, and Symmetry in Africa and the Americas

The International Art and Science Electronic Journal Visual Mathematics
published my new book Basketry, Geometry, and Symmetry in Africa and the
Americas as a Special E-Book issue.
The book is available online at http://members.tripod.com/vismath/ or at
http://www.mi.sanu.ac.yu/vismath/  by going to the link =8Cpapers=B9 and then t=
=8CSpecial E-book issue=B9 (2004).
The book will be available soon on CD too.

The book deals with the geometry and symmetries of designs and patterns
created by mat and basket weavers in several African and American cultures.
The type of basketry discussed is twill basketry.  The book contains the
following chapters:

Introduction
1. Geometrical aspects of Bora basketry in the Peruvian Amazon
2. Geometry and symmetry of mavuku baskets among the Makhuwa of Northeast
Mozambique
3. Spirals interwoven in ipadge basket trays among the Makhuwa (Mozambique)
4. Circular tinhl=E8l=F2 basket trays from Manhi=E7a in the South of Mozambique:
Geometrical virtuosity of two Changana basket weavers
5. Exploring plaited plane patterns among the Tonga in Inhambane
(Mozambique)
6. Colour transformation of strip patterns in Tonga basketry (Mozambique)
7. Plaited strip patterns on Tonga handbags in Inhambane (Mozambique) =AD
Update 2004
8. Geometric ornamentation and arithmetic in the Brazilian Amazon: Analysis
of cylindrical baskets with a square base
9. Cylindrical baskets with a square base from the Bora (Peruvian Amazon)
10. Examples of Design Transformation: Delicately decorated seventeenth
century Kongo baskets
11. Examples of twill plaited patterns with spirals from the Yombe (Congo)
12. Colourings of regular twill plaited mats and baskets: Examples from
Mexico and Mozambique
13 Twill plaited mats from the Mbole =AD Mongo in Northeastern Congo
14 Some designs on twill plaited baskets and mats from Angola
15. Some classes of twill plaited designs and patterns with sets of
concentric toothed squares
15.1 Nested toothed square designs on twill plaited mats and baskets
15.2 Regular square plane patterns on twill plaited mats and baskets
15.3 Semi-regular square plane patterns on twill plaited mats and baskets
15.4 Strings of connected toothed squares on twill plaited mats and baskets
Bibliography

--
Dr. Paulus Gerdes
Professor of Mathematics

--MS_Mac_OE_3181038655_954031_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>New E-book</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#FFFFFF">
<FONT SIZE=3D"5"><FONT FACE=3D"Times">Paulus Gerdes<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Times"><FONT COLOR=3D"#FF0000"><H2>Basketry, Geomet=
ry, and Symmetry in Africa and the Americas<BR>
</H2></FONT><H2><BR>
</H2><FONT SIZE=3D"5">The International Art and Science Electronic Journal <F=
ONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><I>Visual</I></FONT> <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><I>Mathematic=
s</I></FONT> published my new book <B><I>Basketry, Geometry, and Symmetry in=
 Africa and the Americas</I><FONT COLOR=3D"#FF0000"> </FONT></B>as a<FONT COLO=
R=3D"#FF0000"><B> </B></FONT>Special E-Book issue. &nbsp;<BR>
The book is available online at <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>http://members.tri=
pod.com/vismath/</U></FONT> or at &nbsp;<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>http://www.=
mi.sanu.ac.yu/vismath/</U></FONT> <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF">&nbsp;</FONT>by goin=
g to the link =8Cpapers=B9 and then to =8CSpecial E-book issue=B9 (2004).<BR>
The book will be available soon on CD too.<BR>
<BR>
The book deals with the geometry and symmetries of designs and patterns cre=
ated by mat and basket weavers in several African and American cultures. &nb=
sp;The type of basketry discussed is twill basketry. &nbsp;The book contains=
 the following chapters:<BR>
<BR>
Introduction<BR>
1. Geometrical aspects of Bora basketry in the Peruvian Amazon<BR>
2. Geometry and symmetry of <I>mavuku</I> baskets among the Makhuwa of Nort=
heast Mozambique<BR>
3. Spirals interwoven in <I>ipadge</I> basket trays among the Makhuwa (Moza=
mbique)<BR>
4. Circular <I>tinhl=E8l=F2</I> basket trays from Manhi=E7a in the South of Mozam=
bique: Geometrical virtuosity of two Changana basket weavers<BR>
5. Exploring plaited plane patterns among the Tonga in Inhambane (Mozambiqu=
e)<BR>
6. Colour transformation of strip patterns in Tonga basketry (Mozambique)<B=

7.</FONT></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"> </FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Times=
">Plaited strip patterns on Tonga handbags in Inhambane (Mozambique) =AD Updat=
e 2004<BR>
8. Geometric ornamentation and arithmetic in the Brazilian Amazon: Analysis=
 of cylindrical baskets with a square base<BR>
9. Cylindrical baskets with a square base from the Bora (Peruvian Amazon)<B=

10. Examples of Design Transformation: Delicately decorated seventeenth cen=
tury Kongo baskets<BR>
11. Examples of twill plaited patterns with spirals from the Yombe (Congo)<=

12. Colourings of regular twill plaited mats and baskets: Examples from Mex=
ico and Mozambique <BR>
13 Twill plaited mats from the Mbole =AD Mongo in Northeastern Congo<BR>
14 Some designs on twill plaited baskets and mats from Angola<BR>
15. Some classes of twill plaited designs and patterns with sets of concent=
ric toothed squares<BR>
15.1 Nested toothed square designs on twill plaited mats and baskets<BR>
15.2 Regular square plane patterns on twill plaited mats and baskets<BR>
15.3 Semi-regular square plane patterns on twill plaited mats and baskets<B=

15.4 Strings of connected toothed squares on twill plaited mats and baskets=
<BR>
Bibliography<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></FONT><BR>
--<BR>
Dr. Paulus Gerdes<BR>
Professor of Mathematics<BR>
Director, Ethnomathematics Research Centre<BR>
Visiting address: Rua Marconi 109 R/C, Maputo, Mozambique<BR>
Postal address: C.P. 915, Maputo, Mozambique<BR>
Tel. &amp; Fax: +258-1-49 45 04<BR>
E-mail: pgerdes@virconn.com<BR>
<BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"5"><FONT FACE=3D"Times"><BR>
</FONT></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3181038655_954031_MIME_Part--