[Maths-Education] Reseach fellow for longitudinal survey

Paul Ernest maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Nov 11 17:00:04 GMT 2004

Dear Colleagues

I have been asked to circulate the following nationally=20
and internationally to anybody that might be interested (or=20
knows someone who might be interested) in the following=20
research fellow post - we are looking for someone with good=20
quantitative skills who can assist with a longitudinal=20
survey.

Research Fellow (Longitudinal Survey)
 Ref. 2014

This new full-time post is available from 1 March 2005 on a=20
fixed term basis until 31 January 2008 in the Centre for=20
Educational Development and Cooperation/Research Centre for=20
the Learning Society on a major research project funded by=20
the Economic and Social Research Council as part of their=20
Teaching and Learning Research Programme.  Learning Lives=20
is the first large-scale longitudinal study of its kind=20
into the learning biographies of adult learners, aged=20
between 25 and 65+. The project is collaboration between=20
the Universities of Exeter (Prof Gert Biesta, lead=20
applicant; Dr Flora Macleod), Brighton (Prof Ivor Goodson),=20
Leeds (Prof Phil Hodkinson) and Stirling (Prof John Field).=20
We are looking for a researcher with strong quantitative=20
skills to help track a national sample of adult learners=20
using three survey sweeps. The successful candidate will be=20
involved in all aspects of survey research from sample=20
recruitment, questionnaire design and development,=20
management of data collection using postal, email, internet=20
and structured interview approaches, to the analysis and=20
presentation of results. In addition to collecting our own=20
data, we shall re-analyse those from other relevant=20
sources, notably the National Child Development Study and=20
the British Household Panel Survey. Experience of=20
longitudinal data analysis and/or analysis of archive data=20
would be an advantage, as would a background in research on=20
adult education. The successful candidate will be based in=20
Exeter, working primarily with Dr Flora Macleod who is the=20
co-director with special responsibility for the=20
longitudinal survey, but will also collaborate with the=20
life history teams in Exeter, Brighton, Leeds and Stirling.

Salary will be up to =A321,640 pa on scale Research Grade 1A=20
=A319,460 pa - =A321,640 pa.

Informal enquiries to Dr Flora Macleod on 01392-264863;=20
e-mail f.j.macleod@ex.ac.uk For an information pack and=20
application form, contact Hilary Olek (Project=20
Administrator) University of Exeter, School of Education &=20
Lifelong Learning, Heavitree Road, Exeter EX1 2LU, or phone=20
01392 264910, or email h.e.olek@exeter.ac.uk, quoting=20
reference number 2014. =20

Closing date 19 November 2004.

Best wishes

Paul
Professor Paul Ernest   =20
Leader of Masters and Doctoral Degree Programmes in
Mathematics Education    Phone: +44-1392-264796
University of Exeter     Secretary: +44-1392-264877=20
School of Education & LL Fax: +44-1392-264736=20
Heavitree Road           Email: p.ernest@ex.ac.uk=20
Exeter  EX1 2LU, UK      Web: http://www.ex.ac.uk/~PErnest/