[Maths-Education] King's seminar 15 March

Mike Askew maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk
Thu, 4 Mar 2004 17:24:52 +0000

--============_-1133701403==_ma============

Seminar series

Making connections:  Bringing together research, policy and practice
in mathematics education

The King's College Mathematics Education Research Group is mounting a
seminar series in which we hope to bring together researchers,
practitioners and policy makers to discuss issues of common concern.

The second seminar in the series is:

Policy, positions and professional development the implementation of
the maths strand of the KS3 Strategy
Margaret Brown and Hamsa Vencat

Professional development was a key aspect of the package of measures
that constituted the maths strand of the KS3 Strategy. In this paper
we use the results of ATL study to introduce the context of
differences between teachers and maths departments in their existing
practices, and perceptions of and responses to the Strategy. We then
look in more detail at the practices, perceptions and responses of
two maths departments implementing the Strategy within one LEA, and
use interview data from two contrasting teachers to illustrate these
differences. We conclude by examining the ways in which the Strategy,
thro' its advocacy of particular practices, 'positions' teachers and
departments in relation to the policy and how teachers position
themselves also in relation to its demands. The ways in which these
aspects impact upon individuals and departments' willingness to take
up opportunities for professional development are then discussed.

Monday 15 March 2004, 5.30  - 7.00 pm

Venue:
Room G8
Franklin Wilkins Building Annex, Waterloo Road.
The entrance to the School of Education is on Waterloo Road.
A map of the locality is available at:
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/about/maa/sc.html

Tea and coffee will be available from 5.00. You are invited to stay
for drinks at 7.00.

All are welcome.

Please let Mona Turnbull know if you intend to come along
(Mona.Turnbull@kcl.ac.uk, telephone 020 7848 3133).

--
Mike Askew, Reader in Mathematics Education
Department of Education and Professional Studies

Tel:	    +44 (0)20 7848 3178
Fax:        +44 (0)20 7848 3182
e-mail:	    mike.askew@kcl.ac.uk
homepage:	http://www.kcl.ac.uk/depsta/education/hpages/maskew.html

The entrance to the School of Education is on Waterloo Road.
A map of the locality is available at:
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/about/maa/sc.html

For more information about Education at King's see
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/depsta/education
--============_-1133701403==_ma============

blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
Making connections:&nbsp; Bringing together research, policy and
practice in mathematics education<br>
Mathematics Education Research Group is mounting a seminar series in
which we hope to bring together researchers, practitioners and policy
makers to discuss issues of common concern.<br>
The second seminar in the series is:<br>
professional development the implementation of the maths strand of the
KS3 Strategy<br>
Vencat<br>
[...]
up opportunities for professional development are then discussed.<br>
Venue:<br>
Franklin Wilkins Building Annex, Waterloo Road.<br>
The entrance to the School of Education is on Waterloo Road.<br>
A map of the locality is available at:<br>
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/about/maa/sc.html<br>
Tea and coffee will be available from 5.00. You are invited to stay
for drinks at 7.00.<br>
All are welcome.<br>
Please let Mona Turnbull know if you intend to come along
<x-sigsep><pre>--
</pre></x-sigsep>
Department of Education and Professional Studies<br>
Waterloo Bridge Wing<br>
Franklin-Wilkins Building<br>
Waterloo Campus<br>
King's College London<br>
Waterloo Road<br>
London SE1 9NN<br>
Tel:<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; +44
(0)20 7848 3178<br>
Fax:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; +44 (0)20 7848 3182<br>
e-mail:<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp; </x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
mike.askew@kcl.ac.uk<br>
homepage:<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
</x-tab>http://www.kcl.ac.uk/depsta/education/hpages/maskew.html<br>
The entrance to the School of Education is on Waterloo Road.<br>
A map of the locality is available at:<br>
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/about/maa/sc.html<br>
For more information about Education at King's see<br>
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/depsta/education</div>