[Maths-Education] Cambridge Mathematics Education Colloquium

Tim Rowland maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk
Mon, 01 Mar 2004 11:55:28 -0000

Dear Colleague

CAMBRIDGE MATHEMATICS EDUCATION COLLOQUIA

Next week's seminar is to be given by Janet Ainley, Liz Bills and Kirsty
Wilson (University OF Warwick) on Monday, 8th March 2004 at 5.30 p.m., in
Room 205 of the Mary Allan
Building at the Education Faculty Hills Road (Homerton) Site.

PURPOSEFUL ALGEBRAIC ACTIVITY

Tea and coffee will be available from about 5 o'clock.
For directions see http://www.maths-ed.org.uk/colloquia/ or email me.

All are welcome.

With best wishes,
Tim Rowland

Monday 8th March 2004 at 5.30 p.m., Room 205, Mary Allan Building, Hills
Road
Janet Ainley, Liz Bills and Kirsty Wilson, University of Warwick
PURPOSEFUL ALGEBRAIC ACTIVITY

Purposeful Algebraic Activity, an ESRC funded project, is a longitudinal
study of the development of pupils' algebraic activity in the early years
of secondary schooling. The project aims to explore the potential of
spreadsheets as tools in the introduction to algebra and algebraic
thinking, making links to both the learning and teaching of arithmetic, and
the development of traditional school algebra. In collaboration with
primary and secondary teachers, we have designed and implemented a teaching
programme of purposeful spreadsheet-based tasks. We have used a range of
data collection methods to build a picture of pupils' development,
including detailed lesson observations and interviews with target groups of
pupils. In this seminar, we will discuss our empirical findings and invite
feedback from colleagues.

Dr Tim Rowland
Faculty of Education
University of Cambridge