[Maths-Education] Fischer Family Trust

maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 01:23:00 EDT

-------------------------------1086931380

Can anyone help with this query?

I have been suddenly bombarded with Fischer Family Trust data regarding  what
the students I teach should be getting at the end of Key Stage 3.
It appears to be a new form of value added - new to me anyway.

What isn't being made clear is how it works. Being low down the pecking
order I am just being fed outcomes with no explanation; other more senior bods
being sent on courses.

So, can anyone point me to something that will explain clearly the  rationale
on which it works.
Also, is there anywhere that gives a critique of their methodology? Some of
their past predictions appear to be rather strange. Plus I have a nasty habit
of  being extremely suspicious of value-added predictors and such stuff. If I
am  going to be beaten with a stick I would like to know whether I need nimble
feet  or a shield or both or ...

Graham Curson

-------------------------------1086931380

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
Arial"=20
e_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>
<DIV><U>Can anyone help with this query?</U></DIV>
<DIV><U></U>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I have been suddenly bombarded with Fischer Family Trust data regarding=
=20
what the students I teach should be getting at the end of Key Stage 3.</DIV>
<DIV>It appears to be a new form of value added - new to me anyway.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>What isn't being made clear is how it works. Being low down the pecking=
=20
order I am just being fed outcomes with no explanation; other more senior bo=
ds=20
being sent on courses.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>So, can anyone point me to something that will explain clearly the=20
rationale on which it works.</DIV>
<DIV>Also, is there anywhere that gives a critique of their methodology? Som=
e of=20
their past predictions appear to be rather strange. Plus I have a nasty habi=
t of=20
being extremely suspicious of value-added predictors and such stuff. If I am=
=20
going to be beaten with a stick I would like to know whether I need nimble f=
eet=20
or a shield or both or ...</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Graham Curson</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>