[Maths-Education] Info on ICME Topic styudy group from Barbara Jaworski

Peter Gates maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk
Mon, 08 Sep 2003 13:48:09 +0100

ICME 10 Denmark 2004<br>
Topic Study Group -- TSG 23<br>
 of mathematics teachers<br>
Team Chairs:<br>
</i>Barbara Jaworski</b>, Agder University College, Kristiansand, Norway,
of Prague, The Czech Republic,
</i>A.J (Sandy) Dawson</b>, Pacific Resources for Education and Learning
(PREL), Hawaii, USA,
University, Shanghai 200061, CHINA
Technology, Isfahan, IRAN:
</u><br>
a mathematics teacher or teacher educator<br>
The <i>nature of being</i> addresses the fundamental characteristics of
mathematics teaching and what it means to be a mathematics teacher.&nbsp;
Such considerations seem pre-requisite to considerations of how
mathematics teachers should be educated and how mathematics teaching can
develop.&nbsp; The group will consider the <i>development</i> of
mathematics teaching both for new recruits to the profession (student
teachers in preparation to become teachers of mathematics) and for
experienced teachers in ongoing learning situations. Moreover, it will
address directly the development of teacher educators, working with
teachers to enable teaching development, and the issues that arise for
teachers and educators.&nbsp; It will take seriously notions of
mathematics teaching as a research-based profession and consider how
research inter-relates with teaching development.&nbsp; Questions of
knowledge and theory and their relation to practice will be central to
the work of the group<br>
We now invite papers related to this focus.&nbsp; <br>
Details can be found in the following pages.<br>
<i>Contents<br>
Section         Page number<br>
</b>The aims and focus of the TSG23: issues and questions to be addressed
 2<br>
Format and Organisation of TSG23       3<br>
Call for Papers         4<br>
Reviewer guidelines        to come<br>
The aims and focus of the TSG23: <br>
 issues and questions to be addressed<br>
mathematics teacher or teacher educator </b>will address both theory and
practice in mathematics teacher education and teaching development.&nbsp;
researchers) use theories -- for example, constructivist or sociocultural
theories -- in enabling mathematics learning and teaching to develop
fruitfully at all levels to enhance students=92 learning of
mathematics?&nbsp; <br>
practice</i>:<br>
<i>real</i> in our practices and how can practice inform and develop
theory?&nbsp; <br>
these broad questions are:</font><font face=3D"Times New Roman, Times">
<dl>
<dd>1. </font>How do our theories and beliefs influence our work as
teachers with pupils or our work as educators with
teachers?<font face=3D"Times New Roman, Times">
<dd>2. </font>How do we (university teachers and teacher educators)
create or facilitate the learning of mathematics in our teacher education
programmes and relate this to mathematical learning in
classrooms?<font face=3D"Times New Roman, Times">
</dl>3. </font>How can we (teachers and educators) relate understandings
of mathematics with understandings of pedagogy to create effective
didactic situations (in Brousseau=92s sense) in classrooms?<br>
educators) deal with the social issues inherent in classroom teaching to
enable effective mathematical experiences for students?&nbsp; <br>
mathematical achievement in some of our countries is not as good as we
should like it to be, what are the implications for teachers and
teaching, for educators and education programmes and researchers that
will promote higher achievement?<br>
These questions recognise that teachers and teacher educators will work
together, interacting in different ways at different levels to enable
mathematical learning for students, and learning about teaching for
teachers and educators.&nbsp; We hope that teachers and educators will
work together in the group with recognition of, and respect for differing
roles and goals and a common aim in developing the teaching and learning
of mathematics. Professional societies and their activities clearly have
a role here.<br>
The programme of work for the group will depend on papers that are
accepted from those who wish to participate (details of paper submission
follow this section).&nbsp; However, some issues that are of special
interest to the group leaders are<font face=3D"Symbol" size=3D4>
<dl>
teachers differ from mathematics education for future
mathematicians?</font><font face=3D"Symbol" size=3D4>
pedagogical competencies of primary and secondary mathematics
teachers.&nbsp; Are there corresponding competencies for mathematics
teacher educators?</font><font face=3D"Symbol">
<dd>=B7 </font>How do the different beliefs, values and cultural
backgrounds of teachers, or teacher educators, affect their teaching and
its development?<font face=3D"Symbol" size=3D4>
education with a constructivist orientation? How does one work within the
constructivist persuasion with novice and pre-service teachers? How does
one work with diverse cultures that do not have a constructivist
orientation, and still honour one=92s own beliefs?
development act as a catalyst for development itself.
</dl>We recognise that there are many issues and questions that go beyond
those listed here.&nbsp; Listing those above does not exclude
others.&nbsp; However, we want to illustrate through these questions and
issues the depth of the field in which we are involved and the importance
to us of getting beyond particular cases or descriptions of practice,
however interesting these might be in their own right.&nbsp; Thus, where
papers focus on a particular programme or form of practice, we should
expect it to be clear in what ways the authors raise issues that relate
to the deeper concerns of our field.<br>
Format and Organisation of TSG23<br>
In the ICME10 programme TSG23 will have four time slots as follows:<br>
12.45 (1 hour)<br>
12.45 (1 hour)<br>
12.45 (1 hour)<br>
13.15 (1.5 hours)<br>
Thus we shall have 4.5 hours in total.&nbsp; This is a VERY SHORT amount
of time to deal with an ambitious agenda.&nbsp; We therefore wish to
spend this time getting deeply into the important issues in the field we
have identified.&nbsp; We shall therefore take a radical position on the
presentation of papers within the group.<br>
There will be NO ORAL&nbsp; PRESENTATIONS WITHIN THE CONFERENCE
SESSIONS.<br>
Papers that are submitted to the group will go through a review process
and those that are accepted will be posted on the group website in
advance of our meeting.&nbsp; <br>
This means that PAPERS WILL BE PRESENTED PRIOR TO THE GROUP MEETING AND
They will be available on the TSG23 site and prospective participants
will benefit from having read these papers before coming to the
group.<br>
Of course, some participants will come to the group not having read the
papers.&nbsp; That is their choice, but, nevertheless we shall not
provide oral presentations.&nbsp; The papers will be available in the
group for participants to read and full participation in the group will
be enhanced by reading the papers between sessions.<br>
In any sessions the group leader introducing the session will ensure that
discussion focuses on the papers that are relevant to the session and a
critical respondent will provide a response to the papers and discussion
in each session.&nbsp; Planning for sessions will be done once we know
what papers are accepted and hence the main themes of each session.<br>
The final session will include an overview of the group work and consider
how this work might be taken forwards.<br>
Details of each session, its contents and organisation will be posted on
the website together with the papers for the sessions in advance of the
conference.<br>
Call for Papers<br>
We invite papers for this group that fit with the aims and focus we have
outlined above.</font><font face=3D"Symbol">
<dl>
<dd>=B7 </font>Papers should focus clearly on issues relating to
the<font color=3D"#0000FF"><b>
</dl>Education, professional life and development of mathematics
<dl>
<dd>=B7 </font>And in particular on our main
focus<font color=3D"#0000FF"><b>
mathematics teacher or teacher
<dl>
<dd>=B7 </font>They should include an appropriate blend of theory and
practice.<font face=3D"Symbol">
<dd>=B7 </font>If they report research, they should make very clear the
methodological principles and approaches that have been used.
</dl>These four points will constitute the main criteria for reviewing
papers and for recommending acceptance for the group.<b>Paper format and
submission<br>
</b>Group leaders have decided to require a common format for all papers
to allow ease of reading and critical judgment across papers.&nbsp; This
will also provide for a smooth publication process, should publication
beyond the website be desirable.<br>
Papers should be a maximum of 8 pages in length.&nbsp; They should be
written clearly in English.&nbsp; Text should be 14 point TIMES with 16
point spacing and should fit into an outline of 16 cm x 25 cm.&nbsp;
Papers should start with an abstract of up to 10 lines, single spaced and
indented 1cm from the left text edge.&nbsp; Paragraphs should be indented
by 1cm in their first line.&nbsp; Spacing between paragraphs should be 12
points.&nbsp; Display material should be no less than 12 point, indented
at least 1cm from the left text edge.&nbsp; The title should be in 16
point bold capitals, followed by authors=92 names and institutions in 14
point title case bold, all centred in the text;&nbsp; name(s) of
participating authors should be underlined.&nbsp; Headings should be
spaced as paragraphs with text as follows:&nbsp; Heading 2:&nbsp; 14
Point, title case bold, left;&nbsp; Heading 3: 12 point bold capitals,
indented 1cm from left;&nbsp; Heading 4:&nbsp; 14 point italics,
left.<br>
Papers that do not meet these format requirements will not go into the
review process.<br>
<b>Please send your paper by email attachment to each member of the group
leadership team by December
find the five email addresses listed above.<br>
</b>Indicate clearly the name of the corresponding author and provide an
institutional address, email address and telephone number for this
person.&nbsp; Indicate also which authors will be attending TSG 23 at
ICME 10 by underlining their names on the paper.&nbsp; Papers will be
published only from authors attending the group sessions.<br>
<b>Paper review process<br>
</b>Each paper (that is appropriately formatted) will be reviewed by
three people, one member of the group leadership team and two others with
expertise in the area of the group.&nbsp; Authors submitting papers may
be asked to review other papers.&nbsp; Reviewing will be an open process
so that helpful as well as critical feedback can be provided to authors
of papers, and authors may contact the reviewer for clarification of
recommendations.&nbsp; Reviewers will recommend acceptance or rejection
of a paper, but the final decision will be with the group leaders.&nbsp;
Reviewers will be provided with guidelines for the review process.<br>
<b>People who would like to be participants in the group but will not
send a paper are invited nevertheless to be reviewers.&nbsp; You should
get in touch with group leaders as early as possible please if you are
willing to review papers.<br>
</b>Publication of papers in some form, other than the ICME10 website,
will be considered at a later stage.&nbsp; <br>
<b>Timescale of paper submission and the review process<br>
</b>First submission of papers
2003</b>.<br>
<b>January to March 2004</b>: Paper review process.&nbsp; This will be an
open review process (with clear guidelines to reviewers) with suggestions
for authors to improve their paper.&nbsp; Authors will be informed of the
decision on their paper by
<b>modify according to the given recommendations</b>.&nbsp; Papers
rejected at this stage will not be reconsidered.&nbsp; <br>
2004:</b> Authors will resubmit papers following review
recommendations.&nbsp; Resubmitted papers will be read by one of the
group leaders who will make a decision about acceptance.&nbsp; No paper
will be rejected at this stage except where authors have clearly not
responded to recommendations.<br>
<b>May 2004</b> Group leaders will arrange the programme for the group
based around accepted papers.&nbsp; Papers whose authors have registered
for ICME10 and for the work of this group will be put onto the
website.&nbsp; This will constitute their presentation to the group for
reading by prospective group members and consequent discussion in group
sessions.<br>
<b>July 2004 ICME 10 <br>
<BR>

 face=3D"Garamond"><b>******************************************************=