REPLY: RE: [Maths-Education] Being outdated

Judy Mousley maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk
Sun, 4 May 2003 15:02:05 +1000

--============_-1160014663==_ma============

One for the girls
I knew that the word seminal came from "seed" but could not remember
the Latin root, so having nothing better to do on a sunny Sunday
afternoon I looked it up. It's sero/sementis (sow, sowing). I was
amused to note that one of the meanings given for "seminal" is
"pregnant with consequences" (Pocket Oxford).
Judy

blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
 --></style><title>Re: REPLY: RE: [Maths-Education] Being
not remember the Latin root, so having nothing better to do on a sunny
Sunday afternoon I looked it up. It's sero/sementis (sow, sowing). I
was amused to note that one of the meanings given for &quot;seminal&quot;
is &quot;pregnant with consequences&quot; (Pocket Oxford).</div>