[Maths-Education] day conference with Constance Kamii in Limerick, Ireland on March 22nd 2003

Keith Jones maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 10:20:04 -0000

Colleagues

I have been asked to circulate the information below about a day conferen=
ce
with Constance Kamii in Limerick, Ireland on March 22nd 2003. Please forw=
ard
the information to colleagues who may be interested but are not on this
list.

Keith Jones
University of Southampton
-----------------------

The Primary Teachers Mathematics Association (Ireland) Proudly Presents
A Day with Constance Kamii

March 22nd 2003

Venue:	Mary Immaculate College of Education, Limerick, Ireland.

Programme
9:30-9:55	Registration
9:55-10:00	Welcome and Introduction
10:00-11:15	Session I: The Harmful Effects of Algorithms
11:15-11:45	Tea/Coffee
11:45-12:15	Questions and Answers based on the presentation
12:15-1:00	Session II: Why The =93length x width=94 Formula Is So Hard fo=
Children to Understand
1:00-2:30	Lunch
2:30-3:30	Session III: Why Is Subtraction So Much 	Harder than Addition?
3:30-4:30	Questions and Answers Based on the Day=92s Presentations

Constance Kamii
Constance Kamii is professor of Early Childhood Education at the Universi=
ty
of Alabama at Birmingham=92s School of Education. She studied under Jean
Piaget for a dozen years, first as a postdoctoral research fellow and lat=
er
as an adjunct professor at the University of Geneva. She is the author of=
number of books, including, "Young Children Reinvent Arithmetic".

Further Details
Information available from: Br=EDd N=ED Chual=E1in, Primary Teachers Math=
ematics
Association Col=E1iste Mhuire, Marino Institute of Education, Griffith Av=
enue,
Dublin 9 or at primarymaths@ireland.com or at 01 805 7722.