[Maths-Education] Positions at Exeter University!!

PErnest maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 06:51:07 +0000

The School of Education and LL  here at Exeter University is in a very upbeat
mood having been recognised at last by the University's new VC as the jewel in
its crown

Anyway the point of this info is to encourage all good folks (and their
friends and top research students) to apply for the positions. The closing
date is soon (28 Feb.) but I'm sure if you want to apply and haven't yet a
message to Personnel putting down a marker will give you an additional time of
up to a week. (email  j.e.orr@ex.ac.uk).  See
www.ex.ac.uk/admin/personnel/vacancies

The posts are:

  Post Reference  Closing Date

  Professor of Education (up to 3 posts)  9109  28th Feb 2003
  School of Education and Lifelong Learning
  Academic

  Senior Lecturer in Education (2 or more posts)  6436  28th Feb 2003
  School of Education and Lifelong Learning
  Academic

  Lecturer / Senior Lecturer in Education (up to 9 posts)  6437  28th Feb 2003

  School of Education and Lifelong Learning
  Academic

  Lecturer / Senior Lecturer in Education (up to 9 posts)  6438  28th Feb 2003

  School of Education and Lifelong Learning.
  Academic

These are all permanent positions!

If you can stress Early years/primary, professional learning / mentoring / Ed
Research Methods / ICT as well as maths it would be good.

The key issue is promissing or established researchers  -- research is now a
real priority -- after years of giving way to ITT!  We got a 5 in the RAE and
are determined to keep moving up. With these new posts, the place will be
jumping! (We also got 24/24 QAA, excellent Ofsted, and listed in top 10 depts
in both Times and Guardian)

This is a great place to live and work -- and although an ex-Londoner -- where
all my old mates are -- I will stay hear 'til I drop! We have Dartmoor and
Exmoor within a short drive -- beaches, rivers, SW coastal path, great
restaurants, Art cinema, etc. Easy reach of Cornwall, surfing. I even learned
to dive here! The local hospital is a teaching hospital and 3*!  Some good
schools. Some good charity shops if you care(?!?! I do!!)

The school is a great place to work -- very collegial, more or less our own
campus in town. We have quite a few international students, etc. Interesting
seminars, new ideas encouraged. Quality work is valued and rewarded here --
more now than ever! The place has done very well by me and I was just the tea
boy in the 1980s!

The Maths Ed staff will be down to 3 after Summer: me, David Burghes, Dennis
Almeida. We would love some stimulating new colleagues! We run PhD, EdD, MEd,
PGCE and other programmes specifically in maths ed. Lots of opportunities of
every type.

Feel free to ask advice from me in confidence -- I am not personally involved
in the appointments -- go on -- throw your hat into the ring!!

Paul

Professor Paul Ernest          Phone: +44-1392-264796
University of Exeter           Secretary: +44-1392-264877
School of Education and LL     Fax: +44-1392-264736
Heavitree Road                 Email: p.ernest@ex.ac.uk
Exeter  EX1 2LU, UK            Web:  http://www.ex.ac.uk/~PErnest/