[Maths-Education] Being outdated

John Mason maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 16:05:37 +0100

I have just today finished assembling a reader for our masters students:

Fundamental Constructs in Mathematics Education, RoutledgeFalmer, to
appear in 2004.

it features a large number of short extracts from perhaps 150 or more
sources.  it goes back as far as Plato.

The source of maximal relevance to us today for me is Freudenthal's
mathematics revisited: the China lectures, Kluwer 1991.  it revisits
and summarises, and puts into context most of the developments in
mathematics education, at least in my view.  I wish i could be sure
that those running National programmes had read and internalised it!

John mason