[Maths-Education] Being outdated

Anne Watson maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 09:03:52 +0100

I would like to hear people's views about what constitutes datedness in
research.  I have just been shown a review of someone else's paper in which
citations from 1999 are criticised for being 'out of date' for no other
reason than they are 'not recent'.

Do we really believe that, as a field of academic study, we are creating
new knowledge so rapidly that citations from 1999 are necessarily out of
date????  What I suspect is happening is that there is pressure to cite the
most recent person who said something, rather than someone who said the
same thing a few years before.  Unless the more recent citation is
research-based and contains something new, rather than something old but in
a new context, I cannot see why people should not refer to older sources.

On one level, there is little new in our literature anyway, we just re-run
and re-run ancient arguments about the nature of the individual, society,
knowledge, truth and so on using different words, different points of view
perhaps.    In trying to identify what might be genuinely new, rather than
newly-described, I think work which focuses on certain groups (girls, boys,
ethnic groups etc.) and what might be common or different about their
experience is useful, but even that has some central work which is older
than 1999.

I would be interested to know what pre-1999 references people find central
to their work and would be annoyed to give up on the whim of a reviewer
with the chronological sensitivity of a mature goldfish.

My current sensible vote is for Boaler 1997, but I could also suggest
Dewey, Bruner, Hume, Vico, Aristotle.....

And what is genuinely new?  Let's argue.

Anne W.

Dr Anne Watson
Tutor for Admissions and Fellow of Linacre College
Lecturer in Mathematics Education,
Department of Educational Studies,
University of Oxford
15 Norham Gardens