[Maths-Education] multilingualism in mathematics education - call for proposals

Richard Barwell maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 18:15:20 +0100

CALL FOR PROPOSALS

Multilingualism in mathematics education

Building on the work of a multilingual mathematics group, which met at=20
PME in Norwich last year, and the CERME group on teaching and learning=20
in multicultural classrooms, we are developing a proposal for a special
issue of Educational Studies in Mathematics. One of our aims is to=20
create a collection of papers reporting new, original research=20
concerning mathematics education in multilingual contexts. In=20
particular, we will focus on:

=A7=09Teaching and learning mathematics using more than one language;
=A7=09Teaching and learning mathematics using a single dominant=20
language (e.g. English) in classrooms where students are multilingual;
=A7=09Curriculum and policy issues arising from multilingualism in=20
the teaching and learning of mathematics.

We invite 150-word proposals for contributions, which may be=20
full-length research reports or theoretical papers, or short papers=20
(2-3 pages) reporting small-scale research, work-in-progress or raising
issues or questions supported by data. We will endeavour to accommodate
proposals in languages other than English.

Proposals should be emailed to richard.barwell@bris.ac.uk by 30 April=20
2003. Decisions concerning acceptance will be notified to authors by 31
May 2003. Authors of accepted proposals would be expected to submit=20
their papers by 30 September 2003.

Mamokgethi Setati, University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa
Richard Barwell, University of Bristol, United Kingdom
Bill Barton, University of Auckland, New Zealand