[Maths-Education] Maths Enhancement and the TTA

Pat Perks maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 13:52:08 +0100 [BST]

I was at the TTA consultation in Manchester yesterday - and I
know some of you will be in London tomorrow, on the maths
Enhancement programme.
I came away feeling that Mary Doherty is not at all interested in the
resutls of consultation only the show.
The working group (Steph was a member for a time) felt most
strongly taht any money should be used for bursries to existing two
year PGCE students (BEd another issue) but have nbeen firmly tolf
that this is a new initiative.
Paying a 'new' group (she is convinced from dubious evidence that
there is new pool of 5000 out there) is likely to reduce the numbers
attending existing courses and lead to closure and hence an overall
reduction of numbers
The pilot may not influence if it is seen as enhancing geographical
provision but we are very worried - why pay one group 3000 for
giving up work for six months and pay another group who have
given up work for at least ten nothing....
Those who started in favour of the scheme in many groups were
those who did not know about the 2 year course - and were on side
about the divisiveness - but some who are not there - or only
consider their own situation - will bid.
The money is awful too - unless you are prepared to go for a loss
leader - where quality??

But I think any views will not be listened to any ideas out there?

Pat

Dr Pat Perks                        email:   P.A.Perks@bham.ac.uk
School of Education                 phone:  (+44) 121 414 4814
The University of Birmingham
Birmingham    B15 2TT
UK