[Maths-Education] Request: references about the history of averages

Peter Cave maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 13:34:59 +0800

Re 'mean, median and mode', I think you will find that there are national
traditions in these things.  A quick flick through Japanese textbooks for
the 11-15 age group suggests that they teach about mean and about
distribution.  I do not think they teach explicitly about median and mode,
but would have to look at them more carefully to be sure.  I
(non-mathematician since 16) never really understood the point of 'mode'
anyway.  Is it the influence of alliteration?

Peter Cave
M.A., M.Phil., D.Phil. (Oxon)
Assistant Professor
Department of Japanese Studies