[Maths-Education] TTA and Maths Enhancement Course

John ROUTLEDGE(EDS) maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk
Wed, 06 Nov 2002 09:43:17 +0000

Pat

As you know, I was at the Manvhester meeting.

In our group, we were polite and therefore attempted to address the
prepared questions constructively.

Nevertheless, the TTA personnel staffing our group could have been under
no illusion that we were very sceptical about the whole process; sceptical
about the reality of a potential 'pool' of applicants - other than the
ones who currently apply to our 2 year course.

At a personal level I also expressed concerns about the fact that any
course was prefaced on entry to an 11-18 PGCE, with apparently no
discussion about entry to 11-16 course. Thus the mathematics set before us
 - to be assimilated within an intensive period was typically drawn from
the ITT corec curricculum. I remain to be convinced that this would form
the best foundation for any support course.

You are welcome to use my name in any further correspondence.

John R

John L Routledge
School of Education
Sheffield Hallam University