[Maths-Education] Last call for Institute of Mathematics Pedagogy

Anne Watson maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk
Mon, 20 May 2002 16:02:40 +0100

--=====================_18530996==_.ALT

The Second Annual Institute for Mathematical Pedagogy has a few places left.

Reply to t.a.johns@open.ac.uk

This Institute will consist of an intensive extended workshop involving=20
working together on issues to do with the learning and teaching of=20
mathematics. Activities will include readings, discussions, mathematical=20
activities, individual and collaborative work designed to probe deeply into=
=20
learning, and hence teaching, of mathematics.

The institute will be led by John Mason and Anne Watson and there may be=20
some invited contributions. There will be no papers presented and no=20
lectures. Our aim is to develop an atmosphere of shared conjecture and=20
exploration. The theme will be:

Disturbance, Variation and Construction:
How do disturbance, variation, and construction serve to initiate=20
mathematical thinking, and assist learning to be more than transitory?

Participants are invited to bring a mathematical or pedagogic task to share=
=20
which pertains to the theme, as elaborated in our next communication. To=20
receive this, you must send a deposit as per below.

Thursday August 1st (first session 2:00 pm sharp)
Sunday August 4th (last session ending 3:00 pm)

Accommodation will be in Wadham College, Oxford; Sessions will be in the=20
Dept. of Educational Studies, University of Oxford

In order to secure your place and accommodation, we ask for a deposit of =A3=
50
payable to The Open University and sent to T. A. Johns, CMEM&C faculty;
Open University Milton Keynes, UK. Refunds will not be possible.  We cannot=
=20
accept plastic.

The balance of =A3200 will be payable on arrival by cheque or cash. Receipts=
=20
and attendance certificates can be issued on request.

Please state clearly:

accommodation required YES/NO

special accommodation requirements (easy access, ...)

special dietary requirements ...

  particular mathematical-pedagogy issues of concern to you which we
might be able to include ...

If you are intending to attend but to seek accommodation elsewhere we will
acquaint you with the balance to be paid upon arrival, upon receipt of
deposit.

John Mason
Anne Watson
Tracy Johns

Dr Anne Watson
Tutor for Admissions and Fellow of Linacre College
Lecturer in Mathematics Education,
Tutor for Higher Degrees,
Department of Educational Studies,
University of Oxford
15 Norham Gardens
Oxford OX2 6PY

phone:  44-(0)1865-274052
fax:            44-(0)1865-274027=20
--=====================_18530996==_.ALT

Mathematical Pedagogy has a few places left.&nbsp; <br><br>
intensive extended workshop involving working together on issues to do
with the learning and teaching of mathematics. Activities will include
readings, discussions, mathematical activities, individual and
collaborative work designed to probe deeply into<i> learning, and hence
The institute will be led by John Mason and Anne Watson and there may be
some invited contributions. There will be no papers presented and no
lectures. Our aim is to develop an atmosphere of shared conjecture and
exploration. The theme will be:<br><br>
<i>Disturbance, Variation and Construction:<br>
</i>How do disturbance, variation, and construction serve to initiate
mathematical thinking, and assist learning to be more than
transitory?<br><br>
Participants are invited to bring a mathematical or pedagogic task to
share which pertains to the theme, as elaborated in our next
communication. To receive this, you must send a deposit as per
below.<br><br>
Sunday August 4th (last session ending 3:00 pm) <br><br>
Accommodation will be in Wadham College, Oxford; Sessions will be in the
Dept. of Educational Studies, University of Oxford<br><br>
In order to secure your place and accommodation, we ask for a deposit of
=A350 <br>
payable to The Open University and sent to T. A. Johns, CMEM&amp;C
faculty; <br>
Open University Milton Keynes, UK. Refunds will not be possible.&nbsp; We
cannot accept plastic. <br><br>
The balance of =A3200 will be payable on arrival by cheque or cash.
Receipts and attendance certificates can be issued on request.<br><br>
Please state clearly: <br><br>
accommodation required YES/NO <br><br>
special accommodation requirements (easy access, ...) <br><br>
special dietary requirements ... <br><br>
&nbsp;particular mathematical-pedagogy issues of concern to you which we
might be able to include ... <br><br>
If you are intending to attend but to seek accommodation elsewhere we
will <br>
acquaint you with the balance to be paid upon arrival, upon receipt of
deposit. <br><br>
John Mason<br>
Anne Watson <br>
Tracy Johns<br>
fax:<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>44-(0)1865-274027