[Maths-Education] [Fwd: Call for applications for FLM editor]

David A Reid maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 19:55:22 -0300

Lesley Lee wrote:

> Please circulate the attaached "Call" as widely as possible (groups and=

> individuals).
>
> Lesley Lee
>
> (for the Selection committee)

Call for Applications for the Editorship of the Journal
=93For the Learning of Mathematics=94

David Pimm has announced his intention to step down as Editor of FLM with=
 the
completion of Volume 22.

 At its meeting in Kingston (May 25, 2002), the Board of the FLM Publishi=
ng
Association appointed a Search Committee composed of:  Lesley Lee (Coordi=
nator), Tom
Kieren and William Higginson. The committee is responsible for:

=B7 Receiving and reviewing all applications;
=B7 Drawing up a short list of candidates and informing all applicants wh=
ether or not
their names are on it;
=B7 Ranking the candidates on the short list;
=B7 Forwarding the names of the top-ranked applicants to the Board of FLM=
 not later
than November 15, 2002.

The Board also decided at its meeting (May 25, 2002) that editorial respo=
nsibilities
will, in the future, be shared among three people: an Editor and two Asso=
ciate
Editors. At least one of the members of the editorial team will reside in=
 Canada.
The Board, in consultation with the new Editor, will appoint the Associat=
e Editors.
(Individuals who might be interested in an Associate Editor position only=
 should
forward their names to the search committee.)

Procedures for appointment of the recommended (top-ranked) candidate

The Board of FLM will negotiate with the recommended individual the detai=
ls of the
editorial appointment, subject to the following:

1) The initial term for all editors will be for a maximum of three years =
with the
possibility of renewal after a full review;

2) The Board will do its best to meet the expectations of the recommended=
 applicant,
keeping within the constraints of the FLM budget and the following guidel=
ines:

a) the positions of Editor and Associate Editors carry no remuneration;
b) the Editor will make regular reports to the FLM Board and will, where =
possible,
attend its annual meeting.

It should be noted that the Board maintains an office for managing the jo=
urnal. This
office, currently located at Queen=92s University, handles the receipt of=
 manuscripts,
subscriptions, distribution and all financial matters connected with the =
journal.

Duties of the Editor

The Editor will be responsible for:
1) maintaining the present spirit and thrust of FLM;
2) ensuring the present schedule of FLM issues by selecting, seeking out,=
 editing,
proof reading, etc. a sufficient number of articles for each issue;
3) maintaining a pool of manuscript reviewers;
4) maintaining contact with and delegating tasks to the Associate editors=
=2E

Procedure for the early termination of the Editor=92s contract

The appointment of the Editor may be terminated at the pleasure of either=
 party, the
Editor or the FLM Board, through the provision of six months=92 written n=
otice.

Procedures for applicants

Applications should made to the Search Committee at the following electro=
nic
address:

lee.lesley@uqam.ca

or by post (in three copies) to the following address:

Dr. Lesley Lee, Coordinator
FLM Editor Search Committee
5324 Waverly
Montreal, QC
Canada
H2T 2X7

The deadline for the receipt of applications is October 15, 2002.

Applicants are asked to submit their CV and a reasoned statement presenti=
ng their
candidacy for the position of Editor. The Search Committee is interested =
in
applicants=92 previous professional experience, editorial competence, com=
mitment to
the field of mathematics education, and contacts with the international m=
athematics
education community, though no particular requirements are laid down in a=
dvance. The
Search Committee is also interested in applicants=92 visions of how FLM m=
ight grow
over the years while preserving its essential character. Applicants=92 st=
atements may
give the names and contact information of up to three people who support =
their
candidacy.

Supplementary evidentiary material such as examples of publications, copi=
es of
articles, letters of reference, any indications of institutional support,=
 etc.,
should not be sent with the application, though the Search Committee may =
invite
these at a later stage in the selection process.

Information about FLM and CMESG can be obtained on the following websites=
:
http://www.flm.math.ca  and  http://www.cmesg.math.ca

>   ---------------------------------------------------------------------=
---
>                                          Name: Call for Applications fo=
r the E
>    Call for Applications for the E       Type: WINWORD File (applicatio=
n/msword)
>                                      Encoding: base64

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Mailing Address:
David A Reid, School of Education, Acadia University,
Wolfville NS B0P 1X0 Canada
Phone: +1-902-585-1393     Fax: +1-902-585-1071
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Means a lack of rooms (5)
                -- Globe and Mail, 9 March 2002, 4 down

Answer to previous:

6 x 1 + 20 winks at 14th non-U housebreaker:
they're equally responsible (3,2,3,3,4,1,5,2,3,5).
                       --Guardian, Sat. 14th Apr. 2002
(Thanks to Richard Barwell for bringing this to my attention)

6 x 1 + =3D SIX OF ONE AND
20 winks =3D HALF A DOZE
14th non-U =3D FORTEENTH
house =3D HO
FORTEENTH HO =3D N OF THE OTHER (breaker =3D anagram)
they're equally responsible =3D SIX OF ONE AND HALF A DOZEN OF THE OTHER