[Maths-Education] Maths and creationism

Peter Gill maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 09:38:13 +0100

Dear (former) colleagues

As the address below indicates I have quit the academy. However as the
email address shows, I actually haven't escaped. King's (and the math ed
world generally) seems like Hotel California - "You can check out any time
you like but you can never leave".

My current research concerns curriculum issues and I have a question. I
don't know a great deal about the maths curriculum in the US but I know
there has been a "back to basics" move in some areas (states?). I also have
some anecdotal evidence that they are the same areas where "creationism"
(or "intelligent design" as I believe it's known) has gained a toehold in
the science curriculum.

Can anyone come up with evidence to back up (or refute) the hypothesis that
the introduction of "back to basics" in the math curriculum is linked to
creationsism in the science curriculum, or can you
point me in directions which might help?

Thanks and best wishes

Peter Gill

Gill in Gascony
Tax and Education Consultants