[Maths-Education] Virus

Joop van Dormolen maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk
Wed, 09 Jan 2002 22:27:36 +0200

Before spreading so called, first check if the warning is a hoax.
There are several web sides that inform you, for example:=20
http://www.europe.datafellows.com/news/hoax/index.html
or even better (because not only it gives you information about hoaxes,=20
also about real viruses)

This one is: see http://www.europe.datafellows.com/hoaxes/sulfnbk.shtml
Or: http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/sulfnbk.exe.warning.html

In fact the file SULFNBK.EXE is a Window utility. You were hoaxed to delete=
=20
a utility.
(I could warn you to delete WIN.COM. Would you do it?)

And install a good anti virus program that updates automatically.

Joop

********************************
********************************
>Hi, everybody,
>I received the alert below about the virus SULFNBK.EXE ( Mon, 7 Jan 2002 ).
>I checked my hard disk and I found that virus.
>Immediately I deleted it, but all the addresses on my Outlook are in=
 danger.
>So, check your hard disk, please.
>Rita, from Italy.

 HACIENDO
> > > Y TOMAROS 10 SEGUNDOS PARA BORRARLO.
> > >
> > > 1. Ir a INICIO y despues BUSCAR -->> ARCHIVO O CARPETA
> > > 2. Escribid SULFNBK.EXE - este es el virus.
> > > 3. Aseguraros que realiz=C3=A1is la b=C3=BAsqueda en el disco C
> > > 4. Presionad el bot=C3=B3n de BUSCAR
> > > 5. Si aparece el fichero (un icono negro y feo) NO LO ABRAIS.
> > > 6. Click con el bot=C3=B3n derecho del rat=C3=B3n... y bajar hasta=
 ELIMINAR.
> > > 7. Os preguntar=C3=A1 si lo quer=C3=A9is enviar a la Papelera de=
 Reciclaje -
> > > decid que si.
> > > 8. Id al ESCRITORIO y abrid la Papelera de Reciclaje.
> > > 9. Vaciad la Papelera de Reciclaje.
> > >
> > > Si lo encontr=C3=A1is, enviad esta nota a TODA vuestra agenda!

INTERNATIONAL GROUP FOR THE PSYCHOLOGY
OF MATHEMATICS EDUCATION (PME)
Executive secretary Dr. Joop van Dormolen
Rehov Harofeh 48A
Haifa 34367
Israel
Email:   joop@techunix.technion.ac.il
Fax:       +972 4 8258071
Phone:  +972 4 8246239
Home page of PME: http://igpme.tripod.com
Home page of the PME26 conference: http://www.uea.ac.uk/edu/pme26
Outgoing messages are checked by Norton Virus Protection before they are=20
despatched.