[Maths-Education] Re: [ATM-mail] Becta seminar on small software for mathematics using handheld te chnology

Matt Skoss maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 12:14:36 +0930

Following on from David Wright's comments...

Many of the Maths 300 lessons have this purpose-built software (Mac/PC) that
allows kids to explore an idea, conjecture, etc.

The Maths 300 resources are a Curriculum
Corporation professional development initiative to capture the best 300
lessons that exist in Australia.  (Currently up to lesson #104.)

All lessons are well documented via a substantial PDF document (8-28 pages,
typically).  Many lessons are supported by locally-written software, that is
pedagogically sound, creating opportunities for students at all levels to
behave like real mathematicians, testing conjectures and investigating the
mathematics.

All lessons are relevant to a broad range of ages and stages (eg. Year 2-12
for my personal favourite - Highest Number).

More info from http://www.curriculum.edu.au/maths300.  Two trial lessons and
software are available as free downloads - Radioactivity & Crazy Animals.

All lesson plans and software are available on an annual subscription basis.
Cost is currently $330 for the first year (rising to $440 in 2002), and then
an annual subscription of $110 per year.

All lessons start with a powerful kinesthetic or 'hands-on' activity, that
can be tweaked to make it appropriate for your students.  The resources lay
out a powerful professional development process for schools, maths
faculties, etc to integrate appropriate learning technologies into their
teaching and learning.

Please feel welcome to email me about it, or contact Doug Williams
(national director of the project) at doug@blackdouglas.com.au.  Many
schools also invest in a workshop to implement the resources and the PD
process.

My personal experience with these resources is that they certainly inspire
teachers and their teaching, and has a positive flow-on effect to the kids'
learning.

Regards, Matt.

                           (@ @)
+-------------------oOOO---(_)---------------------------+
|                     Matt Skoss                         |
|   LATIS (Learning and Technology in Schools) Advisor   |
|       Strategic and Leadership Development Branch      |
|          LATIS Professional Development Office         |
|                     PO Box 1420                        |
|                 Alice Springs NT 0871                  |
|                 Phone: 0419-824 704                    |
|                  Fax: 08-8952 7210                     |
|            Email: matt.skoss@latis.net.au              |
|                 Web: www.latis.net.au                  |
                         |__|__|
                          || ||