[Maths-Education] Why is reciprocal called 'reciprocal'?

Dylan Wiliam maths-education@nottingham.ac.uk
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 19:32:13 +0000

In Welsh, cilydd (pronounced kill-ith, but with the th prounounced as=20
in this, rather than thorn), which means something like companion,=20
or, in a literal translation of another meaning, reflexively=20
effectual.

Dylan

>*********************************************************************=20
>**************************************
>This message has been generated through the Mathematics Education=20
>email discussion list.
>Hitting the REPLY key sends a message to all list members.
>*********************************************************************=20
>**************************************
>NB: Please reply to qed@enterprise.net even if you respond to list, as some
>of my list-messages go astray.
>
>Q from an 11-year-old: Why are reciprocals so-called?
>
>(I know that they have the 'mutual' property of reciprocality - but then do
>so many things.)
>
>Can anyone tell me what they are called in French/German/other languages?
>Sometimes that can help with questions such as this.
>
>             Thank you and Best regards
>
>              JOHN BIBBY  (Director, Count On/MatheMagic)
>                    1 Straylands Grove
>                    York YO31 1EB
>
>Tel: (+44) 01904-424242 office, 01904-424200 (home and direct line)
>Fax: 01904-424381
>e: qed@enterprise.net, john.bibby@counton.org
>
>  Count On(*) is the government's "Maths for All" programme, managed by
>MatheMagic at the University of York.     MatheMagic(**)is a charitable
>organisation working with partners around the world promoting basic skills
>(including ICT) and Maths for All.
>
>    *  winner of BETT Award for best educational website of the year (2001
>AND 2002)
>    ** MatheMagic's "Computer Bus" has just won the 2002 BT Lifelong
>Learning Award, in partnership with York Libraries.
>
>  Visit www.counton.org and www.mathemagic.org

Dylan Wiliam
Department of Education and Professional Studies
King's College London
=46ranklin-Wilkins Building (Waterloo Bridge Wing)
150 Stamford Street
London SE1 9NN

Tel: +44 (0)20 7 848 3153
=46ax: +44 (0)20 7 848 3182