[Maths-Education] The resource for the course

Tanner H.F. h.f.tanner@swansea.ac.uk
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 10:49:45 +0100

This rather depressing arguement seems to hinge on what we think "in =
the
long run" means when we say that instrumental learning fails and =
relational
understanding wins "in the long run".  Bob seems to think it takes =
years for
the advantages/disadvantages to reveal themselves.  I think they show =
within
weeks!

In intervention studies which we have been involved in here in Swansea, =
the
advantages of teaching mathematical thinking skills showed themselves =
with
reasonable effect sizes after as little as 12 weeks.=20

See Tanner H & Jones S, Scaffolding for success: reflective discourse =
and
the effective teaching of mathematical thinking skills in Rowland and =
Morgan
(eds) research in mathematics education vol2: papers of british society =
for
research into learning mathematics (pp19-32) London, BSRLM.

See also the inpact within 12 months reported by Cobb et al in ed studs =
in
maths 25 (3) 483-504 and CASE.

Instrumental teaching remains a strategy for failure.  If a teacher =
wishes
to score highly in value added analyses they should teach relationally. =
 The
Raising Standards in Numeracy project showed that schools which scored
exceptionally highly in VA analyses used such approaches

See Tanner, H., Jones, S., & Treadaway, M. (1999). Schools that add =
value:
raising standards in mathematics. Proceedings of the British =
Educational
Research Association (BERA-99), Brighton,
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/educol/bera99.htm, 1-18.

Dr Howard Tanner
University of Wales Swansea
Department of Education
Hendrefoelan
Swansea
SA2 7NB

e-mail:=A0 h.f.tanner@swan.ac.uk
Fax: 01792 298499
Tel:=A0 01792 518642

"A professor is someone who talks in someone else's sleep"=20
  W.H.Auden

Why not visit my web page on=20
http://www.swan.ac.uk/education/staff/hftanner/index.html

Or look at my recent books at: