[Maths-Education] The resource for the course

Graham Griffiths GGriffiths@candi.ac.uk
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 09:56:05 +0100

Maybe I should make clear that I am not in favour of all the external
testing regimes that exist and the drive towards qualifications as opposed
to understanding. My original response concerning the problem of
"interesting"  and "non-routine" questions was more a criticism of
time-constrained examination as the main (only?) tool of assessment
(certainly for many
 students). There's a time and a place ....

I also want students to "understand" mathematics - I'm just not quite sure
what that means. I would probably want to change the assessment regimes we
have - but it's not my choice.

Sure - some students who can think mathematically can do the tests although
I suspect that this would probably be a relatively small group (do we have
any data?). There would also be a group who require a small amount of exam
prep. Nevertheless, these two groups combined are probably a minority of
students. The reality is that many students do not "get it" and may easily
end up with no knowledge and no qualification (this would probably include
almost all who get grade C never mind those will lower grades).

We cannot ignore the "gatekeeper" aspect of education even if we want to -
and I think I want to.

So I don't want to go on about qualifications but...