[Maths-Education] The resource for the course

Anne Watson anne.watson@educational-studies.oxford.ac.uk
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 03:33:51 +0100

>A very sharp distinction is being made here - are these intended to be
>mutually exclusive categories?

When the only high stakes exam was at 16 I could imagine there could
be some merging of these categories.  Sadly, now there is testing and
preparation for testing and mock testing and 'springboard' and
'catchup' and 'boosting', not to mention selection tests for
selective schools, 'optional' (oh yeah?) testing and progress
testing, and all kinds of other words for not allowing learners to
reflect, dwell and otherwise bask and swim around in mathematics ...
and a growing underclass of children for whom none of this is helping
them learn maths .... I am inclined to the view that the only
humanistic and sane choice is to take the second category and stick
to it for all learners.

Anne W.

Dr. Anne Watson
Tutor for Higher Degrees,
University Lecturer in Educational Studies (Mathematics)
University of Oxford
Department of Educational Studies
15 Norham Gardens
Oxford