[Maths-Education] was Ratio and Proportion, now multiplication

Martyn A. Quigley martyn@shbie.ubd.edu.bn
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 09:50:26 +0800

At 13:44 2001-10-09 +0000, you wrote:
> > How about this. also from the KS3 framework (p82 of examples):
> >
> > Understand that:
> > * Multiplication is equivalent to and is more efficient than repeated
> > addition
>
>Let me see now... circumference of a circle is pi multiplied by
>diameter. If my diameter is, for example, 11.37cm, in what way
>does the image of repeated addition help me with this
>multiplication?
>
>Dave.

And whilst you're at it, what's repeated addition got to do with me and my
two brothers sharing equally the half-pizza left over from yesterday?

But to be fair, the quote comes from "the KS3 framework (p82 of
examples):", and perhaps is intended to be one *example* of a meaning for
multiplication. Perhaps the next line goes on to examples of
function-of-a-function, Cartesian products, etc.

I'd certainly be concerned if the *only* interpretation of multiplication
at *KS3* was repeated addition. Can anyone confirm or refute?

Martyn Quigley
DoSME, SHBIE
Universiti Brunei Darussalam