[Maths-Education] Ratio and Proportion

ChrisKrys7@aol.com ChrisKrys7@aol.com
Sat, 6 Oct 2001 07:10:26 EDT

--part1_16c.1f9ab97.28f040a2_boundary

It may be helpful to make a distinction between proportion as material
scientific generalisation and ratio as an a priori mathematical one.  We
could then compare  proportions of gold and white fish as the ratio 6:18 or
1:3 and a proportion of gold fish out of to all fish in a pond as the ratio
6:24 or 1:4.  Further statements like "There are three times as many white as
gold fish, or "A quarter of the fish in the pond are gold" could then be seen
as dialectical developments of theory into practice (from general ratios to
particular proportions).

Best wishes
Dr Chris Day

--part1_16c.1f9ab97.28f040a2_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR="#ffffff"><FONT  COLOR="#000040" SIZE=2>It may be helpful to make a distinction between proportion as material scientific generalisation and ratio as an a priori mathematical one. &nbsp;We could then compare &nbsp;proportions of gold and white fish as the ratio 6:18 or 1:3 and a proportion of gold fish out of to all fish in a pond as the ratio 6:24 or 1:4. &nbsp;Further statements like "There are three times as many white as gold fish, or "A quarter of the fish in the pond are gold" could then be seen as dialectical developments of theory into practice (from general ratios to particular proportions).
<BR>
<BR></FONT><FONT  COLOR="#00ff00" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">Best wishes
<BR>Dr Chris Day</FONT></HTML>

--part1_16c.1f9ab97.28f040a2_boundary--