[Maths-Education] Ratio and Proportion

Dick Tahta d.tahta@open.ac.uk
Sat, 6 Oct 2001 11:48:07 +0100

I cannot resist teasing David Pimm:

>The phrase 'the proportion of goldfish' is itself a nonsense as you cannot
>have a proportion of a >single thing: there is always (he asserted rashly)

My understanding  is that "logos"  became "proportio" (more common than
"ratio")  and "alogon" became "proportionalitas".  And that it is the most
common English usage to call a ratio a proportion:

1387  Proportion of roundeness about of a circle .... of twenty two to seven.
1692  Proportion of births to burials .... fifty to forty.
2001  What is my proportion of the bill.   (Heard in a local cafe yesterday!)

David did of course cover himself:

>'everyday usage' cares little for mathematical distinctions or desires to
>keep things straight (hence  >the 'part to whole' observation might be
>empirically accurate with respect to common usage ...

Should we bother to fight against common usage?  (Confirming common
caricature of mathematics teachers as as slightly obsessive other-wordly
people.)

 of a single thing , for example, "dividing in the proportion of 2 to 3",
"your proportion of the expenses"

>The phrase 'the proportion of goldfish' is itself a nonsense as you cannot
>have a proportion of a single thing: there is always (he asserted rashly)
>a double comparison, a comparison of comparions, if you like). But in this
>compressed usage here it is completely tacit. I agree with Geoff: 'The
>proportion of goldfish is 6 out of 24' implicitly means "the ratio of
>goldfish compared with all fish in this particular tank is as the ratio of
>6 to 24" - or am I simply saving the phenomena?. And writing 6:24 as the
>fraction 6/24 compounds things further.
>
>I think it is an instance of how a simple little word can reveal quite
>another way of thinking about the things: 'the square on the hypotenuse'
>(geometric figure related to another geometric figure versus 'the square
>of the hypotenuse' (arithmetical operation carried out on numerical
>measure of length) provides another.
>
>David Fowler's account of pre-Eudoxan ratio theory (The Mathematics of
>Plato's Academy) reconstructs an independent definition of 'the ratio of A
>to B' (based on anthyphairesis, "continued subtraction in turn"),
>independent, that is, of any definition of proportion, whereas Eudoxus'
>theory (in Euclid book 5) is really a theory of proportion.
>
>But I think another compounding problem is that- I don't have the Collins
>COBUILD English dictionary to hand, but it would be interesting to look
>there and see what usages they managed to cull from the large database of
>actual useage).
>
>David

David Pimm
Dept of Secondary Education,