[Maths-Education] Cambridge Mathematics Education Colloquium

Tim Rowland tr202@cus.cam.ac.uk
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 13:23:55 +0000 (GMT)

Dear Colleague

CAMRIDGE MATHEMATICS EDUCATION COLLOQUIUM

Please find below details of a research seminar in Cambridge next Monday.

Best wishes,
Tim Rowland=20

Monday 19th November 2001, 5.30 p.m., Room 218, Mary Allan Building,
Homerton College

Prof Celia Hoyles and Dr Dietmar K=FCchemann, Institute of Education,
University of London=20

UNDERSTANDING LOGICAL ARGUMENTS

"We are mid-way through a large-scale longitudinal study of students'
developing mathematical reasoning. In this seminar we will take as focus
one question concerned with logical argument that we gave to
high-attaining 13-year-old students. First we will discuss the rationale
for the different parts of the question; second we will present the
statistical data with some illustrative examples of student work; and
finally we will further contextualise the responses by reference to
student interviews and some results from the analysis of the second year
survey where the same question was given to the same students one year
later."
________________________

Dr Tim Rowland
Faculty of Education
University of Cambridge
Cambridge CB2 2PH
England

Phone [44] [0]1223 507298
Fax [44] [0]1223 300982
email tr202@cam.ac.uk

British Society for Research into Learning Mathematics
http://www.warwick.ac.uk/BSRLM/