[Maths-Education] Mazes and Labarinths

A Keith Austin K.Austin@sheffield.ac.uk
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 11:07:58 +0100

The BBC World Service programme `Heart and Soul' is currently running
a series on Labyrinths and Spiritual Experiences.
In that a labyrinth is simply a single straightforward path to the
centre and you never have to make a decision as to which direction to
go in. However the point is that the path winds its way very slowly
to the centre ; they give the example of the labyrinth at Saffron
Walden which is 35 metres across, but you cover 3 kilometres to reach
the centre. (if I have remembered the figures correctly.)

Earlier this year the BBC Radio 4 programme `Something Understood'
also dealt with Labyrinths.

Keith Austin