[Maths-Education] Mazes and Labarinths

Laurinda Brown Laurinda.Brown@bristol.ac.uk
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 13:41:43 +0100

You who are about to enter ...

In today's world of muddle and disarray, "maz" or "labyrinth" has
become a farvourite simile to describe the difficulty of
communication, the complexity of modern technology, the tangled skein
of our lives. The metaphor has almost superseded the literal meaning of
the word. The forcefulness of the figuarative term is in turn spawning
an interest and demand for the real thing. Hardly a year had passed
after the Achbishop of Canturbury in his Enthronement address had used
the metaphor of the maze, than a real maze had been built to
commemorate his words.

The most telling manifestation of this revival of interest in the maze
was the international exhibition "In Labirinto" held in Milan in 1980
under the auspices of Jorge Luis Borges, the great SA poet of
labyrinthism. Similarly, the Beatles' Maze at the 1984 International
Garden Festival in Liverpool was the most popular attraction of that
festival, with nearly a million visitors going through it in six months.

Yet, only a decade earlier the puzzle maze was almost a forgotten
artefact, neglected by man and invaded by nature. Back in 1922, W H
Matthews was begging: "Let us at any rate se to it that no more of
these rare and interesting heirlooms are lost to us through ignorance
or neglect". Further back in the 16th century, Shakespeare was
observing:
"The nine men's morris is filled up with mud,
and the maze, through lack of tread, is indistinguishable".

Now in our secular society, the maze has become a feature of amusement
parks, an ornament of privileged gardens. The revival of symbolism in
the maze, investing it with spiritual or worldly meaning, has brought
us back to qwareness of the archetypal labyrinth.

As old as man, the labyrinth had landmarked his migrations nad
polarid=sed his settlements. It was the cerebral and visceral
projection of himself on the face of the earth. Graven on rock, marked
out in boulders, laid in mosaic or marble, delineated in turf or chalk,
it was the first human imprint, the venue for ancient ritual, a pattern
for rythmic dance, an arena for amorous contests. Its womb-like embrace
inspired primevale awe. It signified the mracle of provreation and
growth, the ordeal of decline and death, and the mystery of afterlife.
To experience that ultimate goal required personal involvement, the
understanding of fear, the acceptance of sacrifince whichi central to
the myth of the Cretan labyrinth.

Four more paragraphs coming after a tutorial or two with PGCE students
-

>From a Celebration of Mazes by Randoll Coate, Adrian Fisher, Graham
Burgess

Laurinda