REPLY: [Maths-Education] A lost tv programme

Paul Ernest P.Ernest@exeter.ac.uk
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 14:17:13 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 12:40:07 -0000 "Appleton, Nigel"
<n.appleton@ucsm.ac.uk> wrote:

> This message has been generated through the Mathematics Education email discussion list.
> Hitting the REPLY key sends a message to all list members.
>
> Dear All
> I have a colleague who is trying to track down a tv programme, broadcast in
> the UK a few years ago, in which a researcher, looking at the street maths v
> school maths issue, went into pubs and clubs and asked darts players to do
> pencil and paper versions of the kind of calculations they normally do in
> their heads. Can anyone identify the programme and does anyone know of its
> availability on video?

This sounds like 2 videos

There was one by OU on cognitive development (part of
the course of that name) which looked at the Brazilian
street maths research with Analucia Schliemann

A second one (BBC inset for schools "Thinking Through
Maths") was until recently still shown at night,
and had Terzinha Nunes in pubs asking darts players to do
calculations in their heads. This also had Steve Lerman,
Mike Askew and me talking about philosophy of maths and the
classroom

Unless there's another video which I don't know.....?

I don't know how to order them...

Paul

Paul Ernest              Phone: +44-1392-264857
University of Exeter     Secretary: +44-1392-264877
School of Education      Fax: +44-1392-264736
Heavitree Road           Email: p.ernest@ex.ac.uk
Exeter  EX1 2LU, UK      Web: http://www.ex.ac.uk/~PErnest/