[Maths-Education] AMETday2403

Laurinda Brown Laurinda.Brown@bristol.ac.uk
Fri, 09 Feb 2001 17:06:33 +0000

Some historical musings:

When I first became a mathematics teacher educator I was taken by my=20
colleague John Hayter to a meeing of AUMET. There wasn't really a=20
programme as such as far as I can remember although there might have=20
been a theme. We had what you might call professional discussions but=20
there were working groups that formed against issues. I can remember=20
most sitting talking, thinking - to our own agenda. I went to every=20
meeting as a priority.

I also attended the first joint conference after the amalgamation of=20
AUMET with (NAHFTE(MES)?(SP)) John had been on the organising panel and=20
had twisted my arm to run a working group - there had been a strong=20
hope that the sense of AUMET would be able to continue into the new=20
meetings. The sessions were on sharing practice:) What that meant then=20
was what we did - what underpinned our beliefs? in action? I know that=20
some individuals did not like AUMET - what about AMET? I have to=20
confess to feeling rather depressed reading the list below. I do not=20
want to meet to discuss what takes me away from the work with the=20
students. The 'practices' that we share are our discourse and in turn=20
are what we do. I do try to keep that in mind as I work with my=20
students so that we continue to make the teaching and learning of=20
mathematics centrally what we work at - the main task of which seems to=20
be about learning ourselves. I do not feel that any of the proposed=20
themes will allow me to work on the central question for me:

How do I work with the human beings who come of the street to join us=20
when they are becoming teachers?

NNS, Ofsted etc etc are often distractions from that task - sometimes=20
useful foci - how do I turn these distractions into positive learnings=20
for me and the students - John Mason introduced me to 'yes, anding' -=3D=20
but I suppose that I can do that because I do have strong senses about=20
where I'm coming from.

I do remember the days of AUMET with some nostalgia, however -=20

Laurinda Brown
=20