[Maths-Education] Homework

Peter Gill peter.gill@kcl.ac.uk
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 17:12:40 +0000

I have long been convinced that the disadvantages of homework outweigh the
dubious advantages for all bar a few pupils. Indeed when I was a head of
department I told my staff that the only reason for setting and marking it
was to keep the parents happy and show that we were doing a good job. Thus
they should use the biggest red pen possible.

On the other hand it seems that in some contexts, some sort of "prep" may
be of use, even if only to provide an Ausubelian advance organiser.

Peter Gill                    School of Education
                              King's College London
                              Franklin-Wilkins Building
                              Waterloo Road
Tel: +44 (0)20 7 848 3188     London SE1 9nn
Fax: +44 (0)20 7 848 3182     United Kingdom

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/education