[Maths-Education] Cabri -3D

Malcolm Swan Malcolm.Swan@nottingham.ac.uk
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 13:02:16 +0000

--============_-1230571557==_ma============

I am planning to host a seminar to look at Nicolas' work on his new
3D software which is based on Cabri. Have a look at the attachment
for more details. Please could you let me know if you would be
interested in attending? The date will be fixed to accommodate those
who express an interest.

Malcolm Swan

Working with Calques 3D, a microworld for learning spatial geometry

I am hoping to contact and work with a small group of mathematics
teachers and educational researchers who would like to collaborate
with me in the evaluation of a computer-based environment that I have
developed to support learning and visualisation in geometry.

=46or anyone who is familiar with tools such as Geometer's Sketchpad,
or Cabri-Geometer, my system (Calques 3D) falls into the same family
but is special in that it supports visualisation in 3 dimensions. For
those who are not familiar with this family of learning tools, the
main characteristics is that they enable both teachers and learners
to manipulate visual images of geometric figures to see how different
actions and changes in perspective.

I developed Calques 3D as part of my Computer Science Ph.D. in
=46rance. I worked with two teams of secondary school mathematics
teachers who helped me to design and develop the system. The main
objective of this collaborative work was to provide the teachers (as
final users) with software that would fit their needs and their own
approaches of teaching spatial geometry. As a result, the software is
representative of (a part of) the French Curriculum and has required
some limitation and pruning of the spatial geometry domain.

The teachers used Calques 3D in their classroom, mainly to use it as
a demonstration or presentation tool by the teacher; Although it is
possible for students to use the system for guided or free discovery
activity, we didn't look at this in any detail. Now, I would like to
work with colleagues to explore how Calques 3D can be adapted for use
in UK schools and explore pupil's learning in detail. The precise
questions to be addressed would be defined by the team, but I would
like to focus on -
=85 About the pedagogical content:
Do the pedagogical contents of Calques 3D, in its current state,
suitable with an English educational context? What kind of new
functionalities/features or improvements does it need in order to
fulfil the requirements induced by this context? Etc.
=85 About the pedagogical use:
How can Calques 3Dbe integrated in the National Curriculum? What kind
of activities, that are part of this Curriculum, could you actually
manage with the software? What kind of activities Calques 3D allows
you to manage more easily or efficiently? What kind of activities
does it allow you to manage that, in a way or in another, enlarge the
scope of geometry teaching? Etc.
=85 About the pedagogical outcomes:
As a computer-based learning environment, how do the students
perceive Calques 3D? Does the software provide them with a more
efficient way of learning and understanding spatial geometry? What
are the main differences, in term of learning, motivation, etc.,
between such a computer-based learning environment and a paper-pencil
environment? Etc.

I would like to organise a meeting where I will demonstrate the
software, let you play around with it and discuss about the
evaluation process and how your help would be appreciated.
--
Malcolm Swan
School of Education

seminar to look at Nicolas' work on his new 3D software which is
based on Cabri. Have a look at the attachment for more details.
Please could you let me know if you would be interested in attending?
The date will be fixed to accommodate those who express an
interest.</font></div>
microworld for learning spatial geometry<br>
work with a small group of mathematics teachers and educational
researchers who would like to collaborate with me in the evaluation
of a computer-based environment that I have developed to support
learning and visualisation in geometry.<br>
=46or anyone who is familiar with tools such as Geometer's Sketchpad,
or Cabri-Geometer, my system (Calques 3D) falls into the same family
but is special in that it supports visualisation in 3 dimensions. For
those who are not familiar with this family of learning tools, the
main characteristics is that they enable both teachers and learners
to manipulate visual images of geometric figures to see how different
actions and changes in perspective.<br>
I developed Calques 3D as part of my Computer Science Ph.D. in
=46rance. I worked with two teams of secondary school mathematics
teachers who helped me to design and develop the system. The main
objective of this collaborative work was to provide the teachers (as
final users) with software that would fit their needs and their own
approaches of teaching spatial geometry. As a result, the software is
representative of (a part of) the French Curriculum and has required
some limitation and pruning of the spatial geometry domain.</font><br>
their classroom, mainly to use it as a demonstration or presentation
tool by the teacher; Although it is possible for students to use the
system for guided or free discovery activity, we didn't look at
this in any detail. Now, I would like to work with colleagues to
explore how Calques 3D can be adapted for use in UK schools and
explore pupil's learning in detail. The precise questions to be
addressed would be defined by the team, but I would like to focus on
-<br>
</b>Do the pedagogical contents of Calques 3D, in its current state,
suitable with an English educational context? What kind of new
functionalities/features or improvements does it need in order to
fulfil the requirements induced by this context? Etc.<br>
</b>How can Calques 3Dbe integrated in the National Curriculum? What
kind of activities, that are part of this Curriculum, could you
actually manage with the software? What kind of activities Calques 3D
allows you to manage more easily or efficiently? What kind of
activities does it allow you to manage that, in a way or in another,
enlarge the scope of geometry teaching? Etc.</font></div>
size=3D"-1" color=3D"#000000"><b> About the pedagogical
environment, how do the students perceive Calques 3D? Does the
software provide them with a more efficient way of learning and
understanding spatial geometry? What are the main differences, in
term of learning, motivation, etc., between such a computer-based
learning environment and a paper-pencil environment? Etc.<br>
I would like to organise a meeting where I will demonstrate the
software, let you play around with it and discuss about the
evaluation process and how your help would be
appreciated.</font></div>

Malcolm Swan<br>
School of Education<br>
Jubilee Campus<br>