[Maths-Education] Fwd: Fw: Guardian on line debate

Christine Hall Christine.Hall@nottingham.ac.uk
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 12:22:57 +0100

The Engineering Council are holding a one day conference/research seminar
on the theme of mathematics and engineering on  Tues Dec 12 at QCA.

I have been to many maths/engineering and maths/physics conferences over
the years and mathematics educators are always grossly underepresented - on
at least one occasion I was the only one. This means that they always
follow the format of a chain of HE lecturers in engineering/physics
parading their ignorance and prejudices and finally reaching the same
conclusion i.e. there are desperately falling standards and it is all the
fault of the maths teachers. This is then reported in their professional
journals and followed up by the Daily Mail.

I would like to think that this seminar can be different and that
mathematics educators can be much better represented so that we can move
the discourse on.

Chloe Nast is in charge of all the detail of seminar organisation and
she can be contacted on 020-7557-6474 / CNast@engc.org.uk

Peter Gill                    School of Education
                              King's College London
                              Franklin-Wilkins Building
                              Waterloo Road
Tel: +44 (0)20 7 848 3188     London SE1 8WA
Fax: +44 (0)20 7 848 3182     United Kingdom

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/education