[Maths-Education] values in and of maths.

Geoff Roulet rouletg@educ.queensu.ca
Fri, 03 Nov 2000 11:19:04 -0500

During my years of secondary school teaching I often attempted to introduce
values into mathematics lessons.  I found that when I was explicit in this
and directly presented my views (I am a product of the 1960s student New
Left) the students generally listened politely, nodded agreement and then
went on with their mathematical tasks.  It was obvious that I had little
impact.  By accident one day I found a much better approach.  Using data
given me by a local mine manager I had developed a large problem in which
students were to balance the production of 5 mine sites producing multiple
minerals to match predicted customer demand for metals.  There was a
"perfect" solution to the problem that involved increasing production at
some sites and decreasing it at others.  One of my students, having
personally experienced in his family the uncertainty arising when local
mines shifted production targets, noted that our equations did not address
the issue of employee dislocation.  Their interests had no place in the
problem solution.  A lively debate re the uses of mathematics and the need
to interject values positions into problem solving followed.

Since this event I have attempted to construct problems that potentially
have a values component, but wait for the issue to arise from the class.
Most often it does and I have seen some very intense debates follow.  I
have also found that I do not need to interject to counter extreme
positions or spurious arguments.  All the teacher needs to do is to ensure
that the tone of the debate remains reasonable and that the floor is open
to all.  In this case students themselves rise to address positions that I
would like to see challenged.

Geoff Roulet
Geoffrey Roulet
Coordinator, Centre for Mathematics, Science, and Technology Education
Faculty of Education
Queen's University
Kingston, ON
K7L 3N6
Phone:  613-533-6000 ext. 74935 (Work External)
                74935 (Work Internal)
                 613-531-3348 (Home)
Fax:         613-533-6584
Internet:  rouletg@educ.queensu.ca