[Maths-Education] quote from Everybody counts...

Peter Gates peter.gates@nottingham.ac.uk
Wed, 01 Nov 2000 14:27:35 +0000

Does anyone have an idea of the page in the report:
National Research Council (1989) Everybody Counts. Report to the nation on the future of mathematics education, Washington DC: National Academy Press.
the following appears??

Teachers’ roles should include those of consultant, moderator and interlocutor, not just presenter and authority. Classroom activities must encourage students to express their approaches, both orally and in writing. Students must engage Mathematics as a human activity; they must learn to work cooperatively in small teams to solve problems as well as to argue convincingly for their approach amid conflicting ideas and strategies.
(National Research Council, 1989, p. ??)
I would appreciate any replies direct ot me please??? Thanks.
Best wishes,
Peter

Peter Gates
Centre for the Study of Mathematics Education
University of Nottingham
Nottingham, NG7 2RD
Great Britain

peter.gates@nottingham.ac.uk