[Maths-Education] the spiritual, social ucltural etc. dimension of mathematics

Peter Gates peter.gates@nottingham.ac.uk
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 11:27:09 +0100

colleagues,

I am currently editing a book on issues in mathematics education for
Routledge intended for new teachers of mathematics,. i am in the finalish
stages of editing now and am uncovering a slight gap in a direct discussion
of how mathematics teaching could address what in the UK we refer to as
spiritual, cultural, social, moral dimension.

I wonder if there is anyone out there who could contribute something to a
chapter - or someone who might have something ready for a chapter in its
own right along these lines. I am thinking of maths and citizenship,
politics, etc. etc. Some examples of practice and some of the issues would
be useful.

The problem - the manuscript is due for submission by mid-end of September
2000!!

Please reply to me direct if you have any ideas, thoughts, want to
contribute - may not have time but have ideas, have a chapter etc....

Regards
Best wishes,
Peter

Peter Gates
Centre for the Study of Mathematics Education
University of Nottingham
Nottingham, NG7 2RD
Great Britain

peter.gates@nottingham.ac.uk