[Maths-Education] Clare and other issues

Sally Taverner S.A.Taverner@ncl.ac.uk
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 10:45:27 +0100

Colleagues,

Like Tom Roper I have used video footage with mentors.  I was warned by
another colleague that there is research that suggests that teachers are
particularly critical of the 'taped teacher'.  I wonder if this is because
so few of us (and I include myself) regularly see ourselves teaching on
video!

In order to try to temper the negative comments - after viewing the lesson
I asked mentors to role play the feedback (one mentor, one student and one
observer).  This encouraged them to look for positive aspects as well as
consider what might realistically be done to improve.

Hope this helps - sorry if this is teaching granny to suck eggs!

Sally Taverner
Newcastle University

PS We started with 23 and now have 21.