[Maths-Education] What is the influence of educational research on mathematics education?

Paul Ernest P.Ernest@exeter.ac.uk
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 20:28:02 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)

Dear Colleagues

What is the influence of educational research on
mathematics education? This question is an important one
and well worthy of discussion here. I think my views, and
you - list members - is likely to differ from that of the
politicians. And yet we would probably agree that some sort
of impact on some aspect of mathematics education practice
and its practitioners (which includes us all) is desirable!

However my goal is rather more mundane. I am contributing a
chapter to the Second International Handbook of Mathematics
Education, which will be published by Kluwer Academic
Publishers in 2002. My chapter is on the influence
of educational research on mathematics education, which I
interpret to mean the impact of research on mathematics
teaching, learning, and educational practice in general.
As well as exploring the theoretical issues involved I
will include a survey of exemplary projects in which the
impact of research on mathematics
education practice is evident. I would very grateful for
suggestions and nominations of projects together with
sources of documentation (eg references) where I can find
out the nature, aims, effects and evaluations of such
projects. I am interested in such projects in the UK and
worldwide - indeed my knowledge of the latter is more
limited.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very welcome, but may
I suggest you send them just to me - unless you think what
you write is of general interest to members of this list?

I need such replies asap, and certainly within the next 2
months.

With thanks

Paul

Paul Ernest              Phone: +44-1392-264857
University of Exeter     Secretary: +44-1392-264877
School of Education      Fax: +44-1392-264736
Heavitree Road           Email: p.ernest@ex.ac.uk
Exeter  EX1 2LU, UK      Web: http://www.ex.ac.uk/~PErnest/