[Maths-Education] Research Seminars

Candia Morgan temscrm@ioe.ac.uk
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 10:21:14 +0100

ADDITIONAL RESEARCH SEMINARS

You are invited to attend two additional research seminars to be held in
June at the Institute on Education. Both seminars are presented by
colleagues from
universities outside the UK and should prove interesting and informative.
Details are as follows:

Mathematical Sciences
Research Seminar
_________________________________

Monday 12th June 2000
5.00 - 6.30pm
Room 677,  Institute of Education
20 Bedford Way
London WC1H OAL
_________________________________

'Doing what comes naturally: evolution and intuition in mathematical and
scientific thinking'

Professor Uri Leron
University of Technology, Israel

As an introduction to this seminar Professor Leron says: "I have
synthesized a large body of recent research by evolutionary psychologists,
neuroscientists, biologists, anthropologists, etc, to show that, on the one
hand, our brains are hard-wired (as the result of evolution) for some very
elementary arithmetic, and, on the other hand, modern mathematical and
scientific thinking clashes head-on with what our brains were designed by
evolution to do 'naturally'. To me this adds a new and exciting level of
explanation for the difficulties most people experience in trying to
understand (for example) proofs. It is not only that proofs are complicated
and abstract - this way of thinking really goes against what most people in
all cultures and all places find natural."

Wine and soft drinks will be served after the seminar.

ALL WELCOME

Mathematical Sciences
Research Seminar
_________________________________

Wednesday 14th June 2000
5.00 - 6.30pm
Room 677, Institute of Education
20 Bedford Way
London WC1H OAL
_________________________________

'Childrens' Understanding of Mathematics - The Czech Experience'

Jarmila Novotona and Milan Koman, Charles University, Prague

This seminar will cover Jarmila's and Milan's work in childrens'
mathematics, particularly in the areas of algebra and the use of dynamic
geometry.

Wine and soft drinks will be served after the seminar.

ALL WELCOME

Susan Williams, Group Administrator
Mathematical Sciences Group
x 6651