[Maths-Education] (Mathematics) Teacher Education in Pakistan

barbara.jaworski@educational-studies.ox.ac.uk barbara.jaworski@educational-studies.ox.ac.uk
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 11:23:43 +0000

Dear Colleague,

Would you be interested in contributing to an exciting and innovative
teacher education project in Pakistan either in a short term context, or
longer term (say 3 years?).  If so, read on.

The Insititute for Educational Development at the Aga Khan University in
Karachi was established 6 years ago for the education of teacher educators
(through a 2 year MEd programme) and of teachers through a variety of
programmes.

It was set up initially in partnership with the University of Oxford and
the University of Toronto, and through this partnership, I have been
involved with the Institute for all of its six years.  I continue to go for
short periods (1-3 weeks at a time) because I find it inspirational in what
it has set out to achieve and what it is achieving.  I also find that
everyone who gets involved at the IED develops a deep commitment to the
people there - the teachers and educators and researchers involved in its
various programmes.

An indication of the success of the Institute is that it has gone far
beyond its proposed programmes for its first six years of operation.
However, this has been at considerable human expense.  Everyone working at
the IED is overstretched and trying to do more things than are reasonably
possible (where have I heard this elsewhere??!!).  Part of the reason is
that there are not enough people in Pakistan with the knowledge and
expertise which the IED desperately needs in its expanding programmes.

I have been asked by the current Director, Dr Robert Baker, to indicate to
the mathematics education community (and beyond) that anyone involved in
the education of teachers who might have an interest in working with the
IED, should get in touch with him to discuss possibilities.  Such
possibilities might involve visits of 2-3 weeks for a specific teaching or
research task;  or maybe to spend some sabbatical leave working with
colleagues in Karachi, or studying schooling in Karachi or ... .  It might
also involve a 2 or 3 year post, contributing to some area of the
Institute's work.

If you want more information, please email me.  Or contact Robert Baker
directly on robert.baker@aku.edu

With all best wishes
Barbara

Dr. Barbara Jaworski
[Reader in Mathematics Education]
Oxford Centre for Mathematics Education Research
University of Oxford Department of Educational Studies
15 Norham Gardens
Oxford OX2 6PY
UK

Phone:   01865 274041/24